I just finished a very satisfying workshop at Shakerag in Sewanee, Tennesse. It was inspiring to spend a week writing code surrounded by craft makers doing everything from pottery and book binding to embroidery and twig geometries. It reminded me that no creative practice exists in a vacuum, but stands on the shoulders of the collective knowledge produced by all the makers that went before.
My thanks to all the great people at Shakerag, and especially my studio assistant Greg Pond (an excellent sound artist and sculptor.) Between the awesome food, great company and inspiring conversations it was a week well spent down South.
The following are some useful links that came up in the course of the week, reposted here for convenience.
- Classes and objects:
- Shiffman’s Processing tutorial about objects
- Shiffman’s Particle Systems tutorial
- How my Dog learned Polymorphism
- Java Tutorial: Object-Oriented Programming Concepts
- Processing.org Tutorials section
- wiki.processing.org (tutorials, hacks, documentation)
- 3D geometry generation: Toroid
- Fabbing and 3D printing:
- Meshlab 3D model viewer
- unwrappingLib for polygon unwrapping
- Unfold Fab project for 3D printing ceramics
- Hemesh library for complex 3D meshes
- Book: Getting started with Processing
We also had some fun with Arduino that made me realize I really do need to pick up some more physical computing tools.